International Residential Code Checklists
The following checklist reflects the 2009 edition of the International Residential Code. NOTE: This document is not intended to include all the code regulations and changes in the 2009 IRC. This list is provided to give you a list of the items normally checked by building inspector; it is not all-inclusive. Please use this list only as a guide; it does not replace the codes. It is the responsibility of the licensed contractors, owner builders and the subcontractors to insure that their work is in full compliance with all applicable codes and ordinances.
The following sequence of inspections is enforced by municipalities served. It is the responsibility of the contractor to request an inspection. We request at least a 24 hour notice for inspections. Please have your permit number, 9-1-1 Street Address and type of inspection when calling for an inspection. It is the responsibility of the contractor to provide access and means for inspections. Work should not be done beyond the point indicated in each successive inspection unless approved by the Building Inspector or Building Official. No building shall be occupied until all inspections have been completed and approved and a certificate of occupancy has been issued.
- Footing Inspection: When the footing/foundation is complete, call to schedule an inspection before concrete is poured. Click here for more details regarding footing inspection.
- Plumbing Under Slab: Plumbing test should be on with fittings exposed. This inspection can be done in conjunction with the footing inspection, but you must request it when scheduling your footer inspection. Click here for more details regarding under slab inspection.
- Slab Inspection: Call before you pour for this inspection. Click here for more details regarding the slab inspection.
- Foundation Inspection: Click here for more details regarding the foundation inspection.
- Rough-In Inspection: This inspection is made prior to the installation of insulation or sheetrock. The house is dried-in, framing, HVAC, plumbing and electrical should be roughed-in at this time. Click here for a Rough-In Inspection Checklist
- Final Inspection: This inspection occurs prior to occupancy. The building is complete at this stage with all code issues addressed. If you have an emergency and need this C of O on the same date, please let your inspector know. Click here for more details regarding this inspection.
These pdf forms require adobe reader to view, please follow this link to download if you cannot open a form